Monday, August 20, 2012

"I'm Sorry" Part 2


4.  Week 2:  We managed to finish blocking Act II and did some more character work.  Not as productive as I had hoped but it was okay.  Except we had a couple of Bobbles!

5.  Second Bobble:    Several months ago, my daughter and I had set up this week as "Grammy Camp" for my granddaughter.   It was fun and we did a few things we enjoyed.  The Bobble came in with the length of my day.  (Remember, I am a complete and TOTAL Night Owl.  Now that I'm retired, I stay up really late (usually around 3:00 a.m.) and I also sleep really late (I usually don't get up until 10:30 or 11).  Grammy Camp started at 8:30 am and I usually didn't get home from the evening's rehearsal until 10:30 or 11 pm....wide awake, and unable to even think about going to bed.  At 8:30 am, I was sleepy, groggy, and not very motivated to move.  It was a good week.  M-t-G and I had a good time but the long days really wore me out.  I barely accomplished anything other than the Camp and the Rehearsal.  There is a reason God gives children to young women!!

6.  Third, Fourth, and Fifth Bobble:  This was a killer!  Our male lead reported to me that he had forgotten that there was a family wedding on one of the Performance Nights and that he was one of the Groomsmen!!  It was over 50 miles away and he couldn't guarantee that he could get back in time for the performance.    He was only 19 years old and I think he was getting great pressure from his family, so he chose to drop out of the production.  Well, cra.......bcakes!    

That same night, our female lead (also age 19) had a big time meltdown because she and her boyfriend were breaking up and she was heartbroken.  She was practically sobbing because she was so miserable.  She told me she didn't think she could go on with the show because she was so unhappy and wouldn't be able to give the production the attention it deserved!   Well, cra.....ckers and beans!!

Also that same night (Oh, what a night!), we also lost our Stage Manager!  She was engaged to the male lead that had just dropped out and even though they were not yet married, it was "whither thou goest..." and she was out too!!  Well, CRAP ON A BUN!

Knowing that a teenaged broken heart is survivable, I asked the female lead to think it over and not make a decision until she had calmed down.  I darned near slept with my fingers crossed!

In the next few days I networked with every theater person I know in the Austin-area, because I need to replace one male actor (able to play age 21), one Stage Manager, and possible one female actor who could play 19 and could sing!  

7.  Bobble Resolution:   Actors do not grow on trees!  And getting replacements is arduous at best.  I talked to every one I could.  The good news is that the female lead dried her tears decided to stay!  Whew!  One Disaster Averted!!

As for our male lead, finally after four days and being turned down by FIVE different actors I contacted, I was getting really desperate!  I only knew of one more actor that would be right for the role....and no one could reach him!!  If I couldn't get hold of him and convince him to take the role, I really didn't know where else to turn.  Nevertheless, Murphy kept his stupid nose out of this particular problem and we were FINALLY able to reach my last resort!  And wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, he accepted the role. In fact, he was thrilled and excited.   And furthermore, he was absolutely perfect for the role!!  I had hoped that he would be at the original audition because I knew he was right for the role.  I had been disappointed when he wasn't there.  No matter though!  He said YES and he is well into the role after a few days of rehearsal!!  Second Disaster Averted!

As for Bobble #4 our re-committed female lead also brought along a Stage Manager for us!!
Oh Hallelujah!  Final Disaster Averted!!

Except that it wasn't the Final Disaster!!  Come back tomorrow for Part Three of the road to the "Bus Stop"!!   And why I am soooo sorry!




1 comment:

  1. Oh No...this doesn't sound good if your soooo sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...