You would think that anyone who has lived well into their 60s (like me) would have pretty much encountered most of life's weirdness by now! It doesn't, however, appear so. There are still a whole bunch of things I don't understand...new trends, styles, inventions, attitudes, behaviours that I just don't get. More new ones cropping up every day....and there are still other things that have been around for a long time that I still don't get. For instance:
1. I don't know what this is officially called, but to me is seems a bit like a reverse French manicure! It is a new style of manicure where the majority of the nail is left either natural of with just a hint of color, but the tips of the nails are painted in something bright or sparkly or really dark, or with some small design. I haven't seen one yet that looked good. In fact, they are mostly just a big ugly! 've seen it done on both hands and toes. Why? Why would anyone want to make their nails ugly?? I just don't get it!
2. I continually come across word usages and phrases that are being incorrectly used. It's particularly irritating when they writer is close, but misses anyway. The words they use just don''t mean what the writer thinks they mean! I read this one on Facebook recently. The person was talking about starting a new healthy diet plan. She called it "her new regime." What she meant was her new regimen. The words are spelled very similarly, but leaving out just one letter changes the whole meaning. She used it several times so I don't think it was a typo. She just used the wrong word. It only takes a couple of minutes to look up a word so that you ensure you are saying what you mean to say!! I just don't get it!
3. One of life's biggest annoyances falls into the category of a pet peeve: I am seriously annoyed by people who don't return phone calls, or emails. By not returning them in a timely manner you are more or less sending the message....." I just don't care about you or your question or your point of view." It's tantamount to a slap in the face. Some people just won't get back to you, even when you say please!! That's flat out rude! I just don't get it!
4. People who don't RSVP to invitations fall into a sub-category of #3 above. We have hosted many parties over the years and we have pretty much always sent written invitations. We always ask people to let us know whether or not they are coming. Usually this is to make sure that we have enough food and drink planned, so that no one goes home hungry and we SAY SO on the invitation. Still we never hear from everyone. Never, never! There is some correlation between the no shows and the no response people, but even that's not 100%. Really it only takes a minute to call and say yes or no! But it just doesn't happen and the host is left with a mystery. Maybe they don't understand what R.S.V.P. means....but I doubt it! It's annoying and I just don't get it!
5. Have you ever wondered why some days feel like they last forever while other days whirl by like a dervish and its suddenly over and you can't even remember what you did?? That's generally true of all different time period designations. Sometimes 5 minutes can feel like 5 days and 5 days can feel like 5 minutes. Our perception of time has a lot to do with whether or not one is doing something enjoyable. Still I don't quite understand why time doesn't ever feel like a finite thing! An hour is 60 minutes....always. A minutes isn't that long of an interval. Shouldn't they always feel the same?? Why one minute can feel long while another one feels short is a thing, I just don't get!
6. I don't know if this is just me or if happens to everyone, but some days when I am getting dressed (even on an ordinary unimportant day), I will look in the mirror and sometimes I will feel like I look really good. Other days....not so much. Every day I do the same routine of skincare, hair, make-up, etc. etc. Its the same face I had yesterday and I'll have the same face tomorrow, I should look the same. But some days, I'm Grace Kelly and other days I'm Emmet Kelly (a very famous, but sad looking clown from the 50's!!) Why should this be? I just don't get it!!
7. Why isn't everyone fascinated and intrigued by Science? We live in such an amazing universe and new things are being discovered every single day. Yet there are many people that not only seem totally and completely uninterested, oftentimes there are people who don't even believe that what has been done is really true! This blows my mind. And I'm not just talking about Fundamentalists or others whose belief systems are driven by their church or whathaveyou. Science is fact. Just because you have never heard of something before doesn't mean it is untrue! Not interested in Science?? You don't have to be a rocket scientist to learn new information about this world we live in. Check out this site; it has some stuff that you probably didn't know and it should amaze you. https://www.facebook.com/ScienceIsSeriouslyAwesome It you aren't interested and amazed, well, I just don't get it!!
8. All of a sudden, there has been an explosion of blogs, Facebook stuff, and other websites where the writer(s) are using what appears to be a GREY or BLUE font. If that weren't bad enough, the greys or blues they are using are LIGHT grey and LIGHT blue. They might not realize it, perhaps it shows up differently on their computer monitor for some reason, but when it shows up here, those fonts ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE. Seriously!! Often the size of the font is on the small side and between the pale color and the small size, I cannot be the only one who can't read it!! Please use black ink. Please use a visible font and size. I beg you writers, think about your audience! Some of us don't have great vision for lots of different reasons. If you want to be read, please, make it VISIBLE!! If not, well why are you bothering to write? I just don't get it!!
As always, I probably won't ever understand any of this so, really, "What's the Use of Wonderin'?" These things seem perfectly clear to me, but others don't agree with me. Haven't you all accepted the fact that I am always right?? LOL!! Well, I'm sorry but I just don't get it and I never will!