Monday, July 23, 2012

"The Wheels on the Bus"

I am really excited!  In just one short week, I will be back doing what I love!   I will be directing the opening show of the 15th Season of the Way Off Broadway Community Players!  "The Wheels on the Bus" will go round and round as we present "Bus Stop" a play by the American playwright, William Inge!  




This play opened in New York in 1955 and starred Albert Salmi, Kim Stanley, and Elaine Stritch, among others.  It was nominated for four Tony's.  The story?

In the middle of a howling blizzard, a bus pulls up at a roadside diner. All roads west are closed and the weary travelers are going to have to hole up until morning.  Cherie is the passenger with most to worry about.  She's been pursued, proposed to, and kidnapped by Bo, an exuberant cowboy with the romantic methods of a headstrong bull. Virgil, Bo’s friend and mentor tries to keep him in check with only limited success.  As counterpoint, Grace, the diner’s owner, and the bus driver, Carl, at last find time to develop a “friendship” of their own.  A former professor comes to terms with himself; and a young waitress gets her first taste of romance. All the while the Sheriff keeps close watch on the weather, the roads, and the diverse group of people stranded together for one long night at the Bus Stop.
We will be having open auditions on July 30, 2012.  I'm a bit nervous about getting a good turn-out, so keep your fingers crossed for me!  (And if you know any (non-equity) actors in the Austin area please give them a heads up.  Here's the theater's website:  www.wobcp.org 

The process will be ongoing until we open in September and close in October!  Yep, "The Wheels on the Bus" are on their way!!  Wheeeee!


You'll be hearing more along the way, I promise!


Way Off Broadway Community Players







6 comments:

  1. Even though I can't be involved in this one, I am determined to get out there and see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent...I am looking forward to updates. Sounds like you will be happily busy doing what you love to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Congratulations! I hope you get a fantastic turnout. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get someone to video at least part of it and put it on youtube! That way, we who can't be there will be able to enjoy at least a part of the fruit of your labors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yea!!! congrats to all of you..have fun fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...