Friday, August 21, 2009

"Its a Small World"

It used to be that most people pretty much lived their whole lives in one place. Multiple generations would be in the same place for decades. The place they were born was the place they stayed. Not so much anymore. In fact, many of us move to other cities and other states for business, adventure, marriage, school....lots of different reasons. One of the main offshoots of that is losing touch with people you care about, not just friends but family too. At some point you realize you have no idea what ever happened to "old so and so". Can't write a letter because you have no address. Can't even send an email. Thus, they drift out of your life.

That is changing, big time! Thanks to "Classmates", "Facebook", "Twitter", and the like, more and more of those missing friends and family are showing up on-line. All you have to do to reconnect is agree to be "friends".

Sometimes it happens in even more roundabout ways ~~ to wit:

Now this is a little complicated so bear with me. I met Al in Chicago when we worked together way back in the early 70's. He's a great pianist/ accompaniest. We did a show together and became good friends. I lost track of him when he moved away. Then I met Jean in the late 70's through our mutual involvement in community theater. We became good friends, but drifted apart when I moved away in 1991. (You with me so far?) OK, about 3 years ago, I stumbled onto Al on "Classmates" work places section. He's living in Phoenix (where my sister also lives!). We started emailing jokes and such. Then about 3 or 4 mos ago, Al sent me a joke. In his distribution list was someone with the same name as my old friend Jean. So I asked if it was the same person and of course, it was! Turns out Jean & Al went to high school together in Chicago long before I met either of them!! Now I'm in TX, he's in AZ, and Jean's still in Chicago. We're all back in touch and friends again!

I suppose its not that unusual anymore but it does prove "its a small world" and getting smaller everyday. I hope I find more people soon. Its great, now have lots of "friends"....Facebook says so!

* * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...