Sunday, November 29, 2009

"Peaceful, Easy Feeling"

One of the best things about holidays is that "peaceful, easy feeling" you get when everything is over and done with.  You know what I mean?  Its that time that comes after the frenzy of the holiday is finally finished.  The dishes are done (mostly....I still have a few utensils that need attention), the extra chairs are back where they belong and the dining room is returned to its normal configuration.  The Thanksgiving decorations are down, packed, and returned to storage.  Just a few leftovers still lurking in the fridge, mostly condiments and the like.  The house is still clean from the whirlwind of getting ready.  Everything is in its place and God is in His heaven and all is right with the world....well, at least in my world!

There is nothing I should be doing (except for those utensils, drat it, but they can wait.)  So this evening, is a "I don't have to go anywhere, do anything, need anything" Bonus Night! 

I have plenty of evenings where I don't go, do, or need, but this is different because there is no guilt!!  The Big Guy and I can sit back and relax and know that we've survived another holiday!  Perhaps survive is the wrong word.  I don't mean that holidays are things to endure and emerge victorious from.  Its more amazement that we got everything done in time for one more year!  Also, I suppose, at least to some extent I mean, we've lived through one more holiday(literally). 

Like every other day, getting through the holiday is not guaranteed.  Studies have shown that many people in extremely poor health seem to hold off death in order to reach some goal date
....Thanksgiving, New Year's Day, their birthday, someone's wedding, etc.  The power of the mind and will is always amazing to me.  Unfortunately though, after accomplishing that goal, their reprieve is over and for their families, their death will forever be associated with that holiday.

Hmmm, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there. 

Anyway, what I was talking about (before I so morbidly interrupted myself), was the feeling of accomplishment one has for a few days after a major holiday.  Of course, the next big holiday is practically around the corner (just 24 shopping days till the big "C" holiday)!  :-)  Nevertheless, I am philosophically opposed to start any sort of decorating, planning, or even mentioning the big "C" holiday until December!

So tonight, I'm sitting around relaxing and enjoying that "peaceful, easy, feeling" and resting on my laurels after a successful and delightful Thanksgiving.  I've got lots of time for that, after all, it won't be December until....Tuesday.  TUESDAY??!!  The day after tomorrow, Tuesday????

Oh, help!



1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! Even though I enjoy the holidays and love having all our family together, I also LOVE the first week of January when my house is back to normal and I can actually breathe again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...