Friday, February 5, 2010

"Bye Bye Birdie"

I was walking past the windows looking out on our deck this afternoon when I saw the cutest little bird. It made me smile! Now I am not by any means a "bird" person, not interested in bird watching, can't tell you which bird is which or any of that stuff. I did get my "Birds" badge in Girl Scouts but that was 50 years ago! (You have no idea how much it pains me to write that!)

Also about 50 years ago (crap, I'm older than dirt!), my mother had a parakeet or two for a few years, Pete is the one I remember. After we had him for awhile, "Pete" started laying eggs (unfertilized, of course). That was the only interesting thing about him. His cage needed constant cleaning, he never did tricks, or talked or anything, he I guess I mean, she..., ultimately died....of a broken heart, I think! All those eggs, no babies! Anyway, that is my sum total experience with the winged creatures. But I digress....

, the bird I saw today wasn't colorful, or unusual, or especially clever as far as I could tell. Don't know what kind he was. He was just cute. Well, actually that's not quite it. What he was, was fat! Most regular birds don't seem to get fat, but this little did. His body alone was about the size of a fist, but he had a tiny little head, and little short legs, and straight tail feathers that bobbed up and down when he walking. He just looked too round for his overall size. Maybe I don't mean he, maybe she was "enciente" just like Pete! Do birds get fat when they are "expecting"? Beats me. Anyway, he/she hopped around for a few minutes and then took off for parts unknown. So, "bye-bye, birdie!" Thanks for stopping by.

Just the random sighting of a cute little bird, didn't exactly inspire me to write this posting. What it did tho, is put me onto a language track.

Have you ever thought about how many phrases, expressions, or song titles there are about birds? I have been having them running though my head all afternoon. Maybe if I share them, they'll go away and leave me alone! Anyway, here we go....

*Birds of a feather stick together.
*A little bird told me.
*A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
*Bird's eye view
*Bird brain
*Eat like a bird
*The early bird gets the worm
*Flip him the bird
*To bird-dog
*Make a birdie (golf)
*The birds and the bees
*Free as a bird
*Kill two birds with one stone
*Strictly for the birds
*Swan song
*Happy as a lark
*Sing like a canary
*Eagle-eyed
*Night owl
*Soar like an eagle
*Naked as a jaybird

*Feather your nest
*Nest Egg

Song Titles:

*"Listen to the Mockingbird"
"On the Wings of a Nightingale"
*"Bye Bye Birdie
*Only a Bird in a Gilded Cage"
"Yellow Bird"
*"Red Red Robin"
*"Bye Bye Blackbird"
*”Little Bird”

*”Lullaby of Birdland”
*"Bird Dog”
*”Rockin’ Robin”
*”This Bird Has Flown” [Beatles - Norwegian Wood]
*”A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square”
*"Blue Birds Over the White Cliffs of Dover”

Just so you know, the song titles are from the 40s, 50s, and 60s ('cuz" they're the ones I know!) but I'll bet there are more.

Okay, so now have I "bird" you to death?? Now maybe the little birdies will fly off somewhere else. :)


4 comments:

  1. Rockin' Robin is one of my favorite oldies. And Bye Bye Blackbird was my dad's favorite. Anytime he heard it he would start singing so it always holds a special memory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've covered all of them. Now, I'm going to have these songs going through my head (which are the era of bird songs ones I know too) laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've done it! I'll be thinking up bird expressions and songs all night. It is interesting how much birds are a part of our history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The numbers I came up with really surprised me and I just kept thinking up more!
    The phrases aren't the problem, its the songs!! I've been singing about birds ever since! ;)

    Thanks for stopping by. Come again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...