Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Something's Gotta Give"

As I have said many times, I am not a very good photographer.  What that results in, however, is a great love of beautiful and striking photographs taken by people who ARE great photographers!  One of my very favorite photography blogs is Stephen Baird's NikonSniper. 

Now one of the main reasons I love Stephen's photography so much is that not only does he take great photos, he also frequently titles his photographs with a quirky, frequently funny phrase.  The pictures are always beautifully done, but his quirky titles can change a photo from one that will make me smile to one that will make me laugh out loud!  Like the photo below that he posted this week:  

Surfers' Obstacle Course

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhqfdWtwg_yRLEitfElpxP6gStwlEVboGgi6mx4P22x8huewsFCc4K_uXicJNzOD3ppoTCeEUb66ZuRtE1s6X-yDeH9gmeEAC_52PxbagUGb7SsUp_BLliD6vHD9sfXS1Nl1gjZwyJzMfk/s1600/DSC_0279a.jpg
He absolutely nailed it!  Take a closer look at the photo, especially the rocks.  Can't you just see some Extreme Surfer (and they do exist!) trying to maneuver his board through those rocks like a snow skier on a downhill slalom course?  Yep, one of them is going to lose!  It's a law of nature that when two things are on a collision course "Something's Gotta Give"....and it sure ain't gonna be those rocks!  

If you haven't already, go visit NikonSniper, you might love his work too!

All of this brought to mind one of my all time favorite funny stories.  You may have heard it yourself:
Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

US Ship:        Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision. 
 
CND reply:   Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship:       This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply:   No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship:       THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply:   This is a lighthouse. Your call

Isn't that a great story??  It makes me laugh out loud!!  The U.S. Navy, of course, denies it ever happened.  Maybe so, but I hope not!  It's only really funny if it's real!  Still....  :)

creative-3d.net  

♪♪....When an irresistible force, such as you
Meets an old immovable object like me,
You can bet as sure as you live....
Something's gotta give, something's gotta give,
something's gotta give!....

                              ~~ Johnny Me
rcer


1 comment:

  1. Great photo and caption and great story! I had never heard that! Thanks for the link to the photographer's blog. I've never been there. laurie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...