Friday, December 14, 2012

I was in the middle of writing a different blog post, when I heard the news about the school shooting in New Town, Conn.   Because there is not yet  much factual information about how or why this happened,  so this is my gut reaction without a lot of factual information to back it up.

The shootings took place at an elementary school....an ELEMENTARY school....where children between the ages of 5 and 11 go to school.  Something most all of us did when we were between 5 and 11. I don't know much about the situation other than 27 people are reported dead.  Apparently approximately 9 of them were adults; teachers, staff, and such.  That means that at least 18 of them were children.....children somewhere between the ages of 5 and 11.  Eighteen children, shot dead at school.  It is reported that there was one shooter, who is also dead.

It may be unfair and judgmental of me, but at this point, I don't give a rat's ass about that shooter.  I don't care if he was mentally ill.  I don't care if he was a lost soul.  I don't care about whatever happened in his life that brought him to a point where he made the choice to kill 18 young children and 9 others who probably were devoted to the education and preparation for the future of young children.  I don't care about him.

NOTHING in his life, or belief system, or background, mental condition or anything else could possibly explain or excuse why those 18 young children and the 9 others were killed today.  NOTHING!

All I can care about is that 18 children woke up this morning and went off to school just like any other day and just like millions of other children all around the world.  They went off to school with their books in hand, maybe with a lunch bag, possibly nervous about a test, or excited about a school event, or even hating school as kids are sometimes wont to do. Most of them were probably really excited that Christmas was coming in just eleven more days. They went off to school where they are supposed to be safe, protected, and normal.

How can this be happening again?  What kind of world is this we live in?  How will the parents, families, friends, teachers, other residents of that town ever survive the loss of those 18 innocent children??

They were young children.  They went off to school this morning, but they won't be coming home today....or ever again.










4 comments:

  1. It is devastating...there is no answer for it except it is pure evil. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Mel! It's such a scary world we live in . I couldn't blame parents if they begin home-schooling more and more. I have little grands that will be going to school in the not-so-distant future. Is this what they have to look forward to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you. I don't care a bit about the problems the shooter had. And don't even get me started on why he (or his mother, as it turns out) had to buy automatic assault weapons! Try explaining that to those families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lumps in my throat and stomach might never go away. Is there no place safe from guns in this country?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...