Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Deck the Halls"

One of the best things about the Christmas season is the decorating that exists just about everywhere -- the stores, the churches, the neighborhoods, the civic buildings, sometimes even bridges and roads!  It makes everything so festive and lovely, not just in your own home and yard, but all around in many unexpected places. I think it's great and it's growing every year!

Part of the reason it's growing is the wonderful new figures, letters, lights, designs and decorations that come out each year.  It's really hard to resist some of the new things that are available. I don't know if it's a little bit of a competitive spirit or not wanting to be left out....I guess there are lots of different reasons why more and more people  "Deck the Halls" of their homes and apartments; whatever the cause, I'm all in favor of it!

I took a drive around my neighborhood this evening, just looking at each "holiday house" and listening to Christmas music.  I don't often have an opportunity to do the full tour, but this year tons of folks have their lights and ornaments already up and blazing.  (Is it my imagination or are the decorations going up earlier and earlier every year??) 

This neighborhood (OK, it's really a development, but I'd rather live in a neighborhood, so that's what I call it!), has an extremely wide range of housing types, from about 2,200 sq ft, one story homes for far less than $500,000 all the way up to the newer sections with $5M-$10M mansions that are downright unbelievable.  (We do NOT live in one of them!) 

It appears to make no difference what type of home either!  At this point I'd say approximately 2/3 of all the houses are decorated in some way.  Some are totally covered with lights....outlining the house, in every tree, in every window, in every shrub, with Santas, and reindeer, and gift boxes, sleighs and more!  They are almost overwhelming, there is so much to see!  I cringe thinking of their electric bill!  Others are very simple and tasteful with just a wreath or two and a bit of garland.

When we first moved here ten years ago, we were one of a few decorated houses in our immediate area.  We had always decorated outside, ever since we bought our first house in Chicago, eons ago!  Well, actually the Big Guy decorated outside.  I just provided the inspiration (or threat, depending on your point of view!)  There are about 20 houses visible from our driveway. As owners have come and gone over the years those who do lights and those who don't keep changing.  This year there are lights on 12 of those houses already! That's the most ever! 

The young man who lives next door to us moved in about 5 years ago.  He travels a lot for work, so we don't know him very well.   He was a typical bachelor kind of guy.  His dining room has a pool table and nothing else!  When there is an important sports event that is being televised he has a bunch of friends over to watch on his big screen TV.  He never even put a wreath on the door in years past, much less anything else Christmas-y!  But this year???  He was working in his yard this past Sunday, just before dark.  He put lights on the 3 trees in his front yard.   He has decked the halls!   Nothing much else is different as far as I can tell....dining room pool table still in place, still traveling and working hard.  But there are lights outside!  I just love it!

p.s.   Ummm, did I happen to mention that he got married last winter?    Yep, and this Christmas he's got lights!  It's all about the inspiration (and the threats!)  Absolutely cracks me up!!! 


6 comments:

  1. You know, we went and drove through our neighborhood this evening too! It was for the kids...but you bet I enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the decorating as well. People in our neighborhood are a little slow getting to it this year.

    My 6yo was in the car with me the other day and he told me he was sad that his friend, Nathaniel, didn't celebrate Christmas. I told him that was perfectly fine and he shouldn't be sad. Then I asked him if Nathaniel was Jewish. He told me he didn't know, so I then asked him if Nathaniel actually told him he didn't celebrate Christmas. He said 'no' so I inquired as to how he came to that conclusion... because Nathaniel's house didn't have lights. haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, getting married will do it every time! :) Bet the pool table hits the garage soon!

    I think you are right...I think we are starting the decorating earlier. For me it seems such a short time we have to enjoy...that I want it up early! Time flies by me...so fast that I want to live all I can. Remember, I am 74 years old and I can see that the time is coming that I won't be strong enough to do all I do now.

    So..yes..I start early. I don't buy new things..as pretty as they are...no..I stick to my traditional things that I have saved over the past 55 years..and then some...we would have been married for 56 years now had I not lost him. My big guy! :)

    I love Christmas...and I want to enjoy every single minute of the season..the clock is ticking... :)
    Merry Christmas and much love to you, Mellodee!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have wreaths on both entry doors. One lights up. I also have a Nativity lighted (a small one) by the main entry door. It's small so as not to offend the people across the street who do not believe in any Christian holidays. I have a BIG lighted Nativity that I put out some years. Last year I put it right out front where said neighbors had to look at it. This year I decided to be a little bit more subtle.
    JE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not realize you were in Austin : ) Us too!! I really wish the Trail of Lights were still going on! Happy Holidays!
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like decorating for Christmas, except that also means that I have to put my Fall decorations away and I like them much better. Out here, decorated houses are scattered and the numbers are diminishing due to the demographic. Sad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. It's really nice knowing what you think!! Besides, comments keep me from feeling like I'm here all by myself!! :)

You might also like....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...