Perhaps you've noticed that I'm not all regular at writing. Trust me, it's not necessarily by choice, but some days I don't have anything to write about. No inspiration, no brilliant ideas, not even any bad ideas! Still I feel the desire to write so that I can maintain these fledgling friendships with the rest of you bloggers. Sooooo, what's a girl to do?? Ahhhh, how about some "Bits and Pieces"? Little snippets about nothing much, just to keep my hand in, so to speak.
1. I was all set yesterday to write about the official end of winter and the first day of Spring! You know, something along the lines of, "Oh yay. Spring is here, spring is here. Tra la Tra la". Well, you know for an old broad that Mother Nature is pretty tricky. I woke up to 39 degrees, an icy, frigid wind, a grey and threatening sky, and the desire to jump right back into bed and pull the covers over my head! We had been having some lovely spring-like weather for the last two weeks....bright, sunny, comfortable temperatures and trees were in bloom all over! So March 20 and the beginning of Spring arrives and its back into the Arctic of the South! So no happy little posting yesterday! I couldn't think of one nice thing to say about yesterday that didn't start out with, "Well, at least it isn't _____". Today, I woke up to the day that yesterday should have been! Sunny, acceptable temperatures, a wind that was only mildly cool. Thus it may be a day late but, "Oh yay. Spring is here, spring is here. Tra la Tra la!!" Yep, tricky old broad, that Mother Nature!!
2. The Big Guy and I went out to lunch together today. Our feeding schedules have gotten out of whack the last few months and we haven't shared all that many meals lately. It was nice to have someone to talk to during lunch! I've been suggesting that we should split an entree when we are out. Neither of us eats very much at one time anymore, but we could never agree on something we both might enjoy. Today we did!! This is a major accomplishment! I always feel terrible about the amount of food that goes to waste in restaurants. By sharing one meal we reduced our waste and our bill, a winning situation all around! I don't expect that we'll be able to do it all the time or anything, our tastes are too different. But if we can do it occasionally, it will certainly reduce the guilt I feel when the waiter clears away my only half empty plate!
3. There are times when I do not understand how younger women are managing to live the lives they find themselves in. Full time jobs to bring in money, take care of the children and husband's....food, errands, shopping, lessons, Scouts, sports, church, playdates (that would be for the kids, NOT the husbands!!), laundry, their own clubs/activities, hobbies, fitness activities, quality time with their kids, quality time with the husbands plus the mundane, never-ending meals, homework, baths, housecleaning and whatever else they can find to commit to!! They are truly managing to "have it all". Still, I can't help but wonder do they ever have any time to enjoy it?? Or do they not even recognize free time when they have it?
4. One of my cousins died last week. He was a year older than I and his health hadn't been good for a while. Rest in Peace, Joey. You may remember, I wrote sometime ago that my mom came from a family with 11 children. Those 11 people managed to produce only 23 children among them. Of the original 11 aunts and uncles, all but one are gone now. Of the 23 first cousins, 7 have died and 6 have fallen off the radar and no one knows where or how they are. That leaves only 10 remaining first cousins When my one remaining uncle and his wife (both in their 70's now) are gone and if none of the missing 6 have surfaced by then, that would mean that I am next in line to be the family's "matriarch" because I am the oldest of the remaining 10. Well, ye Gods! I'm only 63!! Matriarchs should be older than that, shouldn't they? A LOT older than that! Still, if I'm still breathing by then, I'm it! Well, OK, what can you do? I guess I can handle it, if I must.
Anybody know if its a paying position?? :)
Okay, as Lil Sis just pointed out, I can't count, or subtract, or add!
Hopeless, when it comes to numbers! Is that pathetic or what? There were 29 first cousins, 6 missing cousins, 6 deceased cousins. That leaves 17. (I THINK!) Nevertheless, I am still the oldest of those whose whereabouts are known, so the rest of the post is correct! I'm still in line for Matriarch! Or maybe I should just say, "Never mind!"
5. I am really enjoying discovering new bloggers. I know blogging was very popular, but I didn't have any idea of how popular it is. I keep finding new one that I just love. Some make me laugh, some make me sad, some fill me with awe. I look forward to reading them everytime they post. The only drawback is that reading them all, doesn't leave me much time to do other things I should do!! I think I need to develop my restraint!
6. Ratchlet and her family were out of town for most of the week on a small Spring Break vacation. They were due back sometime yesterday. Of course, they were driving and it is about a 5 or 6 hour drive. As I said earlier yesterday was really windy and they also ran into some rain. They didn't get back into town until about 10:30 last night. They were all fine and they had a nice trip. My darling daughter knows me extremely well. She called me to let me know they were home safely. She always calls me when traveling. Always! She's never missed. Sometimes the call isn't more than a "Hi, I'm here. See you next week. Gotta go." That's okay. I don't need a big long conversation, I just want to know she has arrived safely. I'm a mother, what can I say???
Of course, the fact that she is 43 years old, just might mean that I am the tiniest bit over the top. Do you think so? Nawwww, neither do I!
7. Happy Spring Everyone....whenever it shows up at your house!